2 2/3 Cup lukewarm water
4 Tsp. dry yeast
3 Tbsp. Molasses
5 Cups whole wheat flour
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/4 Cup wheat germ
1 Tbsp. Oatmeal (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Stir 2 teaspoons honey into 2/3 cup lukewarm water.
- Sprinkle yeast over the mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine 3 tablespoons molasses with 2/3 cup warm water and combine with yeast mixture.
- Stir into flour. Add salt, wheat germ and 1 1/3 cups warm water. Dough will be sticky.
- Pour dough into a non-stick loaf pan.
- Smooth top with wet spatula.
- Sprinkle Oatmeal over top of loaf, if desired.
- Allow to raise to top of pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on a rack, then turn out of pan.
- Cool before slicing.
Baking bread is a great way to teach a science lesson, while having fun in the kitchen!