Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Child-friendly movie reviews... Do you know what your children are watching?


I took Master 4 to see Toy Story 3 today and have to say I LOVED it, but he was extremely frightened as a young viewer. Tonight during reading time he asked lots of questions that he had obviously been thinking about since seeing the film. After kissing him goodnight, my curiosity got the better of me and I looked up the Toy Story 3 Movie Review For Parents! I have to say I was shocked(and a little annoyed at myself for not reading this before making the decision to take him). I'm usually very careful in what I let the kids watch but like most mums thought it would be a great holiday treat (especially considering it was his first time at the movies.) I refer to this guide often: http://raisingchildren.net.au/movie_reviews/movies_landing_page.html This simple guide helps you choose movies for your child, with reviews, easy-to-understand classifications and age recommendations.
I asked Master 4 if it was the darkness of the theatre, or loud sounds that he didn't like, but know he was confidently able to talk to me about particular scenes that up set him. This just brings home to me how important it is for us as parents to know what our children are watching and to review a movie thoroughly before letting young viewers watch it. To read the review (which may shock you) go to

1 comment: